14 December 2011

Witch-a Believe it?

I'll get you, my pretties!
I know, I know - another Halloween bento posted up in December. This is what I get for having such a ridiculous backlog... shame on me for not posting more often.  T_T

Here's to undoing that trend and keeping all of you more informed on the cute food trend in my kitchen!  ^_^*

Our lovely witch has donned her best wickedly pointed hat, ready to hop on her broomstick at the slightest hint of the full moon rising. Click her pic to see her feline companion and Jack-o-Lanterns!

Miss Witch's eyes are made of sliced olive, her nose and mouth are cucumber, and her hair is artfully arranged shredded cheddar. The background behind her hat is also cucumber, I kind of went overboard with the full moon metaphor there.  ^_^*

Her green dermis, tinted with food coloring mixed into a touch of rice wine vinegar, skins a lovely core of tuna salad.

I feel I should have stuck something more to her hat, like a hatband with a miniature broom accent or some such. It looks so... loomingly boring as it currently is. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20, as they say...

Wait - how did the cat get up into the sky?
This is where I really started having fun with side dishes.  Squiggy's new bento box (nabbed at Aldi's for $5!) has two small side dish containers that sit on the icepack - which is also acts as a lid on the food below.   In this case, the bottom compartment holds our witchy lady.  The Jack-o-Lanterns are cleverly disguised peach halves, and the cat silhouetted by the moon is cut nori overlapping cottage cheese.  Because the flavor of nori... er, would not sit well with cottage cheese, I used a bit of plastic wrap to separate the two layers.  However, with the peaches, I let the nori sit right on'em - there was so little used I figured the hint of saltiness wouldn't be noticed and the stickiness of the peaches held the decorations in place nicely.

Best Dishes to you!
~Lollidorable, your Cute Lunch Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment